Alexander Norquay (1813-1890) migrated in 1852 from the Orkney Islands in Scotland. His son, William, was a member of the Cranbourne Road Board. The Norquay family have left behind a wonderful reminder of their presence in the form of the Morteon Bay fig tree (fiscus macrocarpa) which is located in Figtree Walk at Lyndhurst. This tree was thought to have been planted by John Norquay, another son of Alexander, in the 188os or 1890s. It is on the City of Casey Heritage Scheme. The photograph, immediately below, is of the original Norqauy house and was taken in 1966. The bottom photograph shows the Moreton Bay fig and a later farm house which was demolished in 2003.
A few interesting facts about Lyndhurst - Lyndhurst was originally known as Bald Hill ; Lyndhurst was named after Lord Lyndhurst (1772-1863), Lord Chancellor Of England ; Skye was known as Lyndhurst South from 1903 until 1964. A murder in the area in 1903 had brought unwelcome attention to Skye and local residents had the name changed. The victim was William Ford who was about 70 years old ; Lynbrook was developed on land which was originally part of Lyndhurst.