Wednesday, 28 May 2008

The Railways - The Strezelecki Line

The train leaving Yannathan Station, Easter 1940, on the way to Bayles.
From the Bayles Fauna Park Collection.


In this post we will look at anther railway line which traversed the Casey Cardinia region -  the railway line which used to run from Koo-Wee-Rup to Strzelecki. At its opening in 1922 it was known as the Koo-Wee-Rup to McDonald’s Track Railway. McDonald’s Track had been surveyed between 1860 and 1862 by George McDonald. It ran between Lang Lang, Poowong, over Mt Worth to Moe with the aim of providing a stock route through to Sale. The Gippsland Railway line through to Sale was completed in 1879 and early McDonald’s Track settlers, especially those around Poowong, soon began to agitate for a railway line to help ease their transport problems through the densely forested, damp hills. The 32 kilometres (20 miles) or so between Poowong and Drouin took over a days travel and all goods and produce were carted on pack horses or drays.

Various routes for a railway line were suggested including one from Drouin to Welshpool via McDonalds Track or Drouin to Poowong via Longwarry. The Great Southern Railway line to Port Albert via Koo-Wee-Rup, Leongatha and Foster was opened in 1892, by-passing Poowong. The opening of this line coupled with the draining of the Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp saw fresh demands from the McDonald Track settlers and the Swamp settlers for a new line. The Swamp was a large producer of dairy products and vegetables and there was also a growing sand mining industry. In 1912 a new Railway line was proposed from Koo-Wee-Rup to McDonalds Track via areas of the newly drained Swamp.

The Koo-Wee-Rup to McDonalds Track Railway Construction Act was proclaimed on October 12th, 1914 and construction began on August 4th 1915. Construction of the line was slowed by the re-allocation of resources during the First World War and didn’t resume with any pace until 1919. Construction was carried out in three stages. The Swamp area from Koo-wee-Rup to Heathhill, the foothills area of Heathhill to Triholm and the mountain area from Triholm to Strezelecki. The finished line was 49 kms (30 and a half miles) in length and officially opened June 29th 1922. Unfortunately for the people of Poowong they were bypassed once again.

The first timetable had three trains per week carrying both passengers and goods but lack of patronage saw the Strezelecki station close in November 1930 and less than 20 years after their opening Triholm, Topiram, Athlone and Heathhill closed in August 1941. The passenger service also closed in August 1941. Yannathan was now the terminus.

The train at Bayles. From the Bayles Fauna Park Collection.

The farm produce, cattle and milk and the sand mining from the Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp kept the Catani and Yannathan Stations open until April 1950 and Bayles to February 1959. The site of the Bayles Railway station is now the Fauna Reserve and various remnants of the Railway service can be seen there. There is also a display of historic photographs.
At the peak of the rail traffic in 1926 Koo-Wee-Rup Station had a staff of eleven and had 48 passenger and mixed trains and 72 goods trains per week.

This information comes mainly from Steam to Strzelecki : the Koo-Wee-Rup to McDonald’s Track railway by Merilyn Ramsay. Published by the Australian Railway Historical Society in 1991. Unfortunately it is now out of print.

No comments: