Wednesday, 23 June 2010

City of Casey Heritage Database

The City of Casey Heritage Database is now on-line. This is a list and description of all the properties in the City of Casey which have a Heritage listing. These places are considered important as they enrich our lives and help us to understand the past. There are 184 places on the City of Casey Heritage Scheme, and they range from grand buildings such as Edrington, the home of Lord and Lady Casey, in Berwick to some of the original Housing Commission homes which were built in Doveton in the 1950s. A building can receive Heritage listing because it might be significant example of its type, it might have an association with an event or cultural phase in the community or the building might be of social value.The Heritage Database also includes significant trees; other built structures, for instance bridges; community facilities such as Post Offices and Schools, and precincts or areas, such as the Tooradin Foreshore Reserve.


Tooradin Foreshore, 1930s, low-tide. Photograph taken by Neil Smith, a teacher at Tooradin North State School, from 1935 to 1941. From the Cranbourne Shire Historical Society collection.

We will look at the Tooradin Foreshore Reserve citation to give you an idea of information in the Heritage Study. The Tooradin Foreshore Reserve is of local historic, social and aesthetic significance to the City of Casey. It comprises the entrance gateways, jetty and shelter, seawall and associated mature trees, established between c.1930 and c.1960 at Tooradin. It is significant because historically, it demonstrates the improvements carried out by the Tooradin community to encourage tourism to the area. Socially, it is significant for its strong associations with the local community as a place of recreation over a long period. Aesthetically, it is significant as a picturesque environment, which contributes to the amenity, character and identity of Tooradin.

Tooradin, December 1960. Photograph, taken by Jim Rouse, shows my parents, Frank & Wendy Rouse, with some cousins from Queensland.

Our family - uncle, aunts and cousins - from Cora Lynn and North Garfield - used to got to Tooradin and I have many happy memories of family trips to the beach when I was a child. It is my experience, and that of hundreds of others, of time spent at Tooradin which gives the Foreshore a social significance and this social significance is a factor in the Foreshore receiving a Heritage Listing.

A more typical listing in Heritage Studies would be the Cranbourne Shire Offices, Court House and Post Office. This suite of buildings was constructed between 1875 and 1913. This is listed for its Historic value as the first permanent home of the Cranbourne Shire and it is also the oldest Municipal Building in West Gippsland. It also has a social value to the community as it was the centre for civic and community life in Cranbourne.

Cranbourne Shire Offices, c.1900.

You can search the database by street, town name architectural style or any keyword. There are plans to eventually upload pictures of all the Heritage places onto this database but in the meanwhile the Heritage Database is worth a look to discover the rich heritage of the City of Casey. You can access the Heritage Database via the City of Casey website www.casey.vic.gov.au. Go to Services, Planning then Heritage Databases. Alternatively, just click onto this link http://www.casey.vic.gov.au/heritage/?nav=pdm

This same section of the website also has a link to the Thematic Environmental History (Post European Contact) of the City of Casey. This sounds a bit more complicated than it actually is. It is an interesting and readable look at the development of the area, after the arrival of the Europeans, concentrating on particular themes such as Settling the land, Working the land, Transport and Communication, Towns and Cities. The aim of the publication is to put our history into context and to present the activities or themes which have shaped the development of the City of Casey.

Friday, 11 June 2010

Tooradin

Some of the earliest Europeans who passed through Tooradin were Samuel Rawson and Robert Jamieson. They took up the Yallock Run, at the northern end of Western Port, in November 1839. They over landed their cattle and goods to Tooradin from Melbourne and they were then blocked by the undrained Koo-Wee-Rup Swamp, so used Sawtell’s Inlet at Tooradin as their port and continued on by boat.  For the same reason, other land owners from further around Western Port Bay at Red Bluff, Grantville, Queensferry and Corinella also used Tooradin until the Western Port Road was built around 1860. There is a plaque in a picnic shelter on the South Gippsland Highway between Koo-Wee-Rup and Monomeith that marks the location of the Yallock site.

The Tooradin area was part of the Toorodan Run of 16,000 acres (6,475 hectares) taken up by Frederick and Charles Manton in 1840. Edwin Sawtell, a Melbourne merchant, had an interest in this run, before the Manton Brothers took it over. He is the source of the name of Sawtell’s Inlet. Sawtell died at the age of 95 in 1892. The town took its name from Manton’s Toorodan run  and is an Aboriginal word for  “swamp monster” or “bunyip”. 1851 saw the arrival of Mickle, Bakewell and Lyall in the area. John Mickle (1814-1885) and John Bakewell (1807-1888) were business partners in Melbourne from 1847 and they were soon joined by William Lyall (1821-1888) whose sister Margaret was married to John Mickle. They had numerous runs in the Western district and in 1851, they acquired the leases of the Yallock and Tobin Yallock and Red Bluff Stations; in 1852 Manton’s Toorodan run and in 1854 they acquired the Great Swamp run,  all in all about 27,000 acres, which they collectively called their Western Port runs.

After the partnership split up the land was divided between the three partners with  Lyall receiving part of Yallock Station. Lyall and his wife, Annabella, built Harewood house, just out of Tooradin, on this property.  The construction of Harewood started around 1857 and the property remained in the Lyall family until 1968. Harewood is of State significance and is on the Victorian Heritage Database. Mickle, Bakewell and Lyall and their descendants are remembered in Tooradin, Cranbourne and Koo-Wee-Rup where streets were named in their honour.





A map of an early land subdivision at Tooradin. Evans owned all of Allotment 5 and subdivided these fifteen blocks in 1887 or 1888. You can see Steer's property where the Bridge Hotel was located. The '1 chain road' is now Mickle Street


The Tooradin township was laid out in 1854, and this included a reserve for a bridge and wharf. Early land sales took place in 1869, but it wasn’t until the 1870s that the township took off. In January 1870, John Steer applied for a Beer Licence for his Bridge Inn. John Steer died in May 1876 and the Hotel was taken over by Matthew Evans in 1877. Later publicans included Larry Basan who took over the licence in 1888 and rebuilt the hotel in 1895. The hotel was demolished in 2016.  The other Tooradin Hotel, the Sherwood Hotel, which was closer towards Cranbourne, had opened in 1869.

A tender to construct the Tooradin State School was accepted in October 1874 and the School officially opened on April 12, 1875 with Mrs Adelaide Dredge as the teacher. John Woodfield Thrupp opened a store around 1875. The Post Office and a store  operated by Mr F.M  Woolley opened in August 1877. He only lasted a year and the Store was taken over by Mr G. Walker, and in 1898 by Frederick Atyeo. Two years later, his son George, took over and added a coffee palace.  To meet the spiritual needs of the residents, Anglican Church services were held from 1875, most likely in the School, and from 1883 in the Hall until the Christ Church was built in 1900. The Catholic Church, St Peters, was built in 1922, services also having been previously held in the Mechanics’ Institute. The Church is now part of St Peters College at Cranbourne.


Tooradin Mechanics' Institute
Photo from : Tooradin : a history of a Sportsman's Paradise, 1875-1975. Complied by D.J. Mickle.

The Tooradin Mechanics’ Institute (pictured above) had officially opened on Boxing Day, 1882. The current Hall was built in 1938, having replaced the original hall, which burnt down the previous year. Another boost to Tooradin was the construction of the Great Southern Railway, which reached Tooradin in October 1888. It was extended from Tooradin to Loch in November 1890. The Station was a few kilometres north of the town and the source of the road name Tooradin Station Road.

As the town developed community groups were established – in the 1920s a Country Women's Association; the Fire Brigade started in 1945;  the Infant Welfare Centre opened in 1949 and ten years later the Kindergarten; the Scout Group was established in 1964. The Tooradin Dalmore Football Club started in  in 1919 and the  Netball Club in 1954.  The Avenue of Honour to commemorate the World War One soldiers was planted in 1922, unusually it consists of flowering gums.

Matthew Evans (1836-1909) was an early resident of Tooradin. He had purchased land in 1869 and built Bay View house in the early 1870s. He also purchased other blocks in Tooradin, some of which he sub-divded and sold around 1887 or 1888 (see map above). Evans, as we saw before, was the owner of  the Bridge Inn for  a time was a Cranbourne Shire Councillor from 1879 to 1881, a trustee of the Mechanics Institute and donated the land for the Anglican Church. Evans built Isles View, which is on the City of Casey Heritage Scheme, in 1898 and it is thought that Bay View house was shifted to form part of this new house. The Isle to which the name refers to is French Island. Mr Evans is the source of the name of Evans Road.
Photo of Matthew Evans is from Tooradin : a history of a Sportsman's Paradise, 1875-1975. Complied by D.J. Mickle.



Isles View house, this photograph clearly shows the weatherboard section which is believed to be Matthew Evan's original 1869 house, Bay View.

A fleet of fishing boats were also based at the Tooradin and some of the earliest settlers were fishermen.David Mickle* writes that George Casey was the first fisherman and settler, followed by Jimmy Miles and  then in 1876 Henry and Elizabeth Kernot came over from Hastings. They had eleven children including Isabella Poole. Isabella owned the Fishermans Cottage  from 1910 to 1949. It is now the home of the Cranbourne Shire Historical Society.  The Cottage is one of the few remaining examples of the fishermen’s houses that originally dotted both sides of Sawtell’s Inlet in the nineteenth century and early twentieth century. The last of the professional fishermen, Henry Kernot and Arthur Johnstone (whose mother was a Kernot), surrendered their licence in 1999. 



Fisherman's Cottage. This house is thought to have been built by Matthews Evans and some sources date it's construction to c. 1873 even though the land was part of the 1887 subdivision shown in the map above.

Tooradin attracted not only the professional fisherman but the sports fisherman as well. The fishing, plus quail shooting on Quail Island, deer shooting, cycling club and other typical pursuits of the time gave Tooradin a reputation as a 'Sportsman’s Paradise'. This reputation was fostered by the publication of the booklet Around Tooradin : the Sportsman's Paradise by Hawkeye. It was published, in serial form, in late 1888 and early 1889 to promote the sale of land in the area. Today Tooradin is still a haven for recreational fishing, is the service centre for the coastal towns of Cannons Creek, Warneet and Blind Bight. It’s natural landscape of tidal flats and mangroves are a haven for bird and marine life. When I was growing up at Cora Lynn (in the 1960s and 70s)  we always went to Tooradin to the beach - my parents used to water ski and we’ll have a swim or just go over and get fish and chips and eat them on the beach. In fact, Tooradin fish and chips seem to be fondly remembered by many people.

Tooradin was the birthplace of the Royal Automobile Club of Victoria in 1903, you can read about  this here.

The photographs of Isles View and the Fishermans Cottage are from the Heritage of the City of Casey : Historic sites in the former City of Casey, by Graeme Butler and Associates, 1995.

*Tooradin : a history of a Sportsman's Paradise, 1875-1975 . Complied by D.J. Mickle. (published in 1975 by the Tooradin 'Back to' Committee)