Friday, 2 November 2018

Cranbourne Park Estate land sale November 9, 1888

On November 9, 1888 the blocks at Cranbourne Park Estate at Cranbourne were auctioned off. The land was sold on very easy terms with a two pound deposit. The auctioneers, Carney & Kelly, in conjunction with John Collins provided the prospective buyers with a 'special train leaving Princes Bridge Station at 11.15am' and  also provided a 'free luncheon in a spacious marquee'

Map of the Cranbourne Park Estate
State Library of Victoria  - click here to view or download a larger version

Part of the advertisement for Cranbourne Park Estate in The Age November 8, 1888
see the full advertisement here

Here is a list of the Streets in the Cranbourne Park Estate and the derivation of their name

Barkley Street
Sir Henry Barkly (1815 - 1898) was Governor of Victoria from 1856 to 1863. Barkly Street had already been used in Cranbourne in the original 1850s sub-division, read about this here. The western end of the original Barkly Street is now called Brunt Street and the eastern end is Lecky Street. 

Berwick Road
It was called Berwick Road as it lead to Berwick (actually it leads to Narre Warren, but perhaps they thought that Berwick was more well known than Narre Warren)  Now known as Cameron Street, after early land owner, Alexander Cameron, who took up land in Cranbourne in 1851.

Bowen Street
Sir George Ferguson Bowen  (1821 - 1899) was the Governor of Queensland from 1859 - 1868, Governor of New Zealand 1868 - 1873,  Governor of Victoria 1873- 1878, Governor of Mauritius 1879 - 1882 and then Governor of Hong Kong 1882 - 1886 - so clearly moved around the British Empire serving Queen Victoria wherever he was sent. 

Camms Road
Charles Camm (1837 - 1924) is listed on the Cranbourne Parish Plan as owning Lot 69, 100 acres, this land was at the end of Patterson's Road, near Pound Road. According to the Cranbourne Shire Rate books, by 1884, as well as this 100 acres, Robert Camm (1811 - 1890) was listed for 87 acres Lot 7 and 316 acres Lot 35, which was originally owned by Alexander Cameron. There is some discrepancy with the spelling of the name - the Parish Plan lists it as Cam,  the Rate books call it Camm and Niel Gunson in his book The Good Country: Cranbourne Shire spells it as Cam.

Canterbury Road
John Henry Thomas Manners-Sutton (1814 - 1877) was the Governor of Victoria 1866 - 1873. In 1869, on the death of his brother, he became the third Viscount Canterbury.

Hotham Street
Sir Charles Hotham (1806 - 1855) was appointed Lieutenant Governor of Victoria in December 1853 and full Governor  in February 1855, a post he held until he died in December 1855. The Eureka Rebellion took place during his appointment.

La Trobe Street
Charles Joseph La Trobe (1801 - 1875)  was the Superintendent of the Port Phillip District from 1839 - 1851, then Lieutenant Governor of Victoria 1851 - 1854. 

Loch Street
Henry Brougham Loch (1827 - 1900) was the Governor of Victoria 1884 - 1889, he was then appointed High Commissioner for South Africa and Governor of the Cape Colony.

Melbourne Road
Obviously the road to Melbourne (if heading north), but now called High Street, part of  the South Gippsland Highway and also called, in the past, Western Port Road or the Bass Road or Grantville Road as that was where the road went to when heading south. Melbourne was named for William Lamb, second Viscount Melbourne (1779 - 1848), a British Prime Minister.

Normanby Street
George Augustine Consantine Phipps, second Marquis of Normanby was the Governor of Queensland 1871 - 1874, Governor of New Zealand 1874 - 1878 and then Governor of Victoria 1879 - 1884. 

No comments: